One of the many things I’ve been thinking a bit about is knowledge engineering. I reckon it’s important, but the question is how to explain it.
I’m currently enjoying this paper but it’s a hard read!
The challenge of software engineering is: how do you take 20 computer programmers and get them working on a big task, AND have them efficiently produce something which is easy to maintain into the future?
Knowledge engineering seems related: “how do you take input from 20 experts and represent their knowledge in a way computers can manipulate AND that the experts can check AND so other experts can modify and refine the knowledge base AND so that safety critical clinical decisions can be made using the knowledge base?” how then do you maintain that? And how do you combine knowledge resources from other sources?
mmm…
Is http://protege.stanford.edu/overview/ this the answer to my knowledge engineering fantasies?
ReplyDelete